Monday, January 14, 2008

Since when have they been called "berries"?


Every week I pull out the ole' wheat grinder and make whole-wheat bread. Now that I can't mooch off my parent's food storage I order my wheat from a local natural foods store. I order 50 lbs every three months or so. Whenever I go to pick up my wheat (which they call wheat berries) I'm always asked what I use it for. "Wheat grass?" was the question I got this time. I guess Seattlites don't grind their own wheat much but apparently, no surprise, growing one's own wheat grass is a common practice.

5 comments:

Shauna said...

When I think of a wheat grinder, I picture a heavy metal object as big as a sewing machine, what does it look like?

Rebekah said...

I have a Nutrimill wheat grinder and it is the best! Here's a nice article about it with a picture: http://www.breadmachinedigest.com/reviews/reviews/nutrimill/nutrimill.html

And you can grind more than just wheat berries. I've made corn meal but you could do oat flour, rice flour, rye flour, etc.

Shauna said...

That's a lot smaller than I thought, my problem is that I'm a little defective in the bread department and my bread or any kind of dough for that matter won't rise. :( I also can't cook potatoes but this only begins the list of my non-skills.

Shauna said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
robin marie said...

you are the grinding queen!