Thursday, January 31, 2008

MFEO - Part III


We left off with Scott and me diligently magnifying our callings as Young Single Adult representatives; warmly encouraged by my aunt and uncle who were the YSA advisers. We started to have more and more activities. Sometimes as many as 5 a week. People thought we were so righteous,which of course we are. The trouble was, Scott and me could never really talk to each other because we felt like it was our responsibility to make sure everyone else was being included. We had a system down where I would call all the boys to tell them about an activity and Scott would call the girls. It worked. Attendance sky-rocketed.

One memorable activity happened a couple of weeks after Scott was called as a rep. We were going to be watching a movie at Scott's house the same night that I had been asked by neighbor of his to come and talk to them about Italy (they were planning a trip there). So I decided to walk to the couple's house, give my schpeal, and then go to the activity at Scott's place afterwards. Well my gushing about Italy ended sooner than I thought so I had the choice of either sitting on the curb with my photo albums for a half an hour or I could just show up early at Scott's house. I was feeling Italy in my blood so I opted for the aggressive move. Scott seemed surprised but honestly pleased that I was there and after I explained why I was early asked if I would show him my pictures. So for one glorious half an hour the two of us sat on the couch and talked about art and travel; well Scott mostly listened to me as I babbled but it gave way to some nice fantasies. I was so sad when other people started to come. Why do they always have to come to all the activities?!

That same evening I got a phone call from a guy in my Italian class who also happened to be the only other U of U student going on the semester abroad program, which was through BYU. He said that he and a buddy were in Kaysville and were wondering if they could stop by. Thinking that a couple of new boys would hopefully draw the other girls' attention away from Scott I told them to come join us. Scott has since told me how jealous this made him; oh if only I had known. During the movie I tried very hard to send clear messages to Scott that I was not interested in either of these boys by hardly talking to them, except to introduce them to every girl in the room, and by sitting on the floor by myself hoping Scott would join me. Alas, he was stuck on the couch by another girl. I remember who she was and where they were sitting; who's the jealous one now?

And that is sort of how the next month went. Scott and I would plan more and more activities just so we could see each other, completely oblivious to how the other one felt, but never being able to spend enough time with each other. The jealous feelings were mounting. I started having bitter thoughts towards every girl who dared talk to Scott let alone touched him (how dare they give him a high five!!!).

Towards the end of May we met together as a group at my house to roast marshmallows. It was a Wednesday night and Scott had work in the morning but the two of us and one clueless straggler stayed behind after everyone else left until past midnight (bless that straggler but oh did I want him to leave). But it was that same night when I was walking Scott out to his car (any chance to be alone) that he asked me if he could take me to dinner that Saturday. I tell you angels were singing.

P.S. This picture was taken just after we got engaged when Scott's family took us out to eat at Benihana's (I'm a vegetarian).

6 comments:

Shauna said...

This was the most entertaining MFEO segment so far, I especially love the embellishment of the lioness fight, remind me never to get on your hit list and Roman Holiday (one of my alltime classics!)

Messimoo said...

So fun to read. I didn't want you to stop. I felt as if I was reading a Jane Austen novel!

Suzanne said...

I am just loving these stories. I love how daring you were, nothing would stand in the way of you getting your man!

Lizzy said...

The link for "Italy" is absolutely priceless. It perfectly captures the essence of this delightful story. Honey, you get your man. Grrr.

Julia said...

Logan and I also courted amidst random YSA activities and clueless stragglers. I literally fell on the floor when he finally asked me out.

The Fifes said...

this is entertaining! i can't wait for the next installment!