So in we go to our meeting where it so happened that both of our fathers where also in attendance. Nobody but Scott, myself and my Dad was aware that anything was going on. Scott's Dad knew we had gone on a couple of dates but that's about it. And so the rest of the day went: we attended Sunday School together but not as a couple, we went on Church-related visits with my aunt and uncle together but not as a couple. However, I did make a point of sitting next to Scott in each of these situations which my observant aunt definitely noticed. But Scott and never really had a chance to be alone and so Sunday and Monday (reserved for family time) passed by oh so slowly with me not being able to focus on anything.
Finally, Tuesday night arrived and to the surprise of the rest of the Young Single Adults we did not have an activity. You see, Scott had invited me over to his house. We had moved on.
Needless to say, I tried on several different outfits preparing for such an event. My younger sister was in Lake Powell for her senior trip so I was left on my own but I eventually picked out a pair of peach-colored linen pants and a white blouse and put on a couple of dashes of my best perfume; I was on the hunt. I arrived and said talked to Scott's family briefly (I knew them but not well at all so it was still pretty darned awkward) and then Scott and I sat down on the couch to talk. After a while his family filtered out of the room and we were left alone.
We talked about how funny it was that nobody at Church had any idea that there was something between us which lead to proffessing again how much and how long we had liked each other and before you know it Scott was a whole lot closer than a 12-inch whisper. Now remember, 21 year-old Rebekah had never been kissed before. Well let's just say she made up for it right then and there. After emerging from the couch some time later we went on a walk holding hands and life was good.
The next day (Wednesday, June 8th) I was faced with a slight dilemma: the money for my Italian semester abroad was due and it was nonrefundable. What do I do? Telling my self that we had only been on a couple of dates and that people kiss all the time without it meaning a huge commitment, I sent in the check. Two hours later I called the bank and canceled it. I then wrote an email to my two professors that basically said: "You see there's this boy..."
That night Scott came over to my house where we talked to my parents briefly (they basically welcomed Scott to the family) before going for a walk. I had decided earlier not to tell Scott that I had canceled "Italy," as we referred to it, thinking that it would put just a bit of pressure on him to well, make it worth it. But not long into our walk Scott himself brings it up saying: "So what are we going to do about you going to Italy this fall?"
"Well Scott, funny you should mention that because I, uh, well, I canceled my trip this afternoon." Silence. "Are you serious?" he said. I then told him about the check and that I just felt awful after sending it in; I could see before mentioned pressure settling in. I finished with a bang saying: "As far as I'm concerned I can't see this ending in any other way but in the temple and I'm willing to give up Italy to give this relationship a chance." WOW!!! I still can't believe I did that to poor Scott.
Well, we kept on walking and eventually sat down on some grass where we kissed some more and I pulled out yet another aggressive move by saying: "Is it too soon to say 'I love you?'" Sweet Scott said no and that he loved me too. More kissing to which Rebekah is quickly becoming accustomed to.
Thursday evening came and this time I made Scott dinner which we ate just the two of us and a chance to talk some more, possible marriage being the main topic. We decided to have our two families get together the next day for a barbecue so they could get to know each other.
Now we are to Friday (June 10th) and my Mom who had after our Spiral Jetty date realized that if there was going to be a wedding that summer it would most likely be in August. Well, she was in charge of a family reunion that month where over 700 people would be camping for 3 days and would be spending the rest of the time in Baltimore where my sister would be having her first baby. Looking at the calender she called Scott's mom to talk about how her August was looking and to try and figure out what day would work. Scott's mom responded with "a possible date for what?"
You see Scott hadn't really told his parents much, to say the least. Now you must understand that Scott is the oldest child and a bit of a golden child at that. This was difficult for his parents to take; let alone as fast and unexpected as it did. The next day his mom bought a new puppy to console herself about the "loss of her son." I know it is kind of funny but this is actually one of Scott's only regrets about that whole summer; that he didn't let his family know more of what was going on.
But his parents weren't the only one's in the dark. My younger sister had been in Lake Powell since before the Spiral Jetty and had no idea when she arrived home that Friday that her older sister was pretty much engaged. A bit of a shocker that she really didn't get over until after we had been married for a few months. We were really close.
So the barbecue went well, we did in fact set a date and called the temple the next day. Scott and I don't really know how it all happened but we were happy and felt good about it and so went ahead. That Sunday we walked into the Church holding hands and announced to a stunned Young Single Adult class that we were engaged. The look on their faces! It's probably pretty close to the look on your face. We were married two and a half months later on August 20th.







Raised in a small South Dakota mining town where he learned the value of a sturdy pickaxe and native tubers, Scott is a man's man who knows the meaning of the word testosterone. Apart from devouring freshly slain beasts of the forest, Scott enjoys sharpening his tools, lifting heavy objects, and throwing a ball at a hoop suspended ten feet off of the ground. He also enjoys Romantic Era poetry and Italian cooking.
6 comments:
I have loved reading your story. Ben and I had some similar experiences in that we only dated for 16 days before getting engaged and had a lot of shocked friends also.
Thanks; who is this again?
What a sweet story.. I have loved reading it!
Happy memories. I had never heard about Scott's replacement. How does Scott feel about that dog? Love you guys.
I think Scott's replacement is pretty cute. We're glad you got things worked out. Hope Seattle is treating you well.
Rebekah you are brave. I love the story. Lets play soon!
Post a Comment