Thursday, November 29, 2007

Call me Captain


Yes, I have been tagged. It's a lot of pressure this tagging business. After all I don't have two different feet, I'm not a talented writer and I don't even have old pictures of me to show everyone how cool I once was. But rules are rules and speaking of which:

Here are the rules: Post these rules of "tag" at the beginning of your blog. List 6 facts or habits about yourself. At the end of the post, you must tag 6 people and post their names. Go to their blog and leave them a comment letting them know they have been tagged and to read your blog for more details.

1. Scott and I dated for a total of 11 days before getting engaged. But we always have to emphasis that we new each other since we were 15 so that makes it ok. Don't tell our kids.

2. I was a little princess when I was young. For example, I was the arm-wrestling champion of my elementary school. Sure didn't wear makeup until high school. Was mistaken for a boy on a regular basis until, oh, about 8th grade! In fact, my own cousin thought I was a boy. Took a knife (not a little pocket knife mind you, but a bone-handled hunting knife) to Church when I was 10. Starting around 5 or 6 years old I insisted people call me Captain John Guarder Baser.

3. Now that you know of my "Captain John Years" it will come as no surprise to you that I never held hands or kissed or had a boy friend until Scott and I started dating two and 1/2 years ago. Fortunately for me, Scott finds my fondness for building fires, hardware stores, tools, knives and wearing no makeup endearing.

4. Fact #2 is a result of my Mom who was a tom-boy herself when she was growing up on The Farm in Idaho. This next bit about myself is from my St. Louis-born father. I've seen over 70 live plays. My parents are quite the odd couple, in a lot of ways.

5. I get so excited when I'm cleaning and I find a spot that has been missed and the dirtier it is the better. I report these findings to a politely interested Scott when he comes home in the evening. Sometimes, ok all of the time, I will show him the newly cleaned spot. Some of my more exciting finds have been vents, under the oven knobs and the lintel behind the door (where the hinges are).

6. I aspire to be Italian as anyone who has been to our house would know. I've spent many dollars to go there (4 times in all) and can't wait to go back. My devotion to all things Italian even goes as far as my having tributes to the flag in our kitchen, a framed business card of a gelateria in Florence, and a total of 25 Italy-related photographs on display in our apartment. It's really out of control. In fact only yesterday I had my new Visiting Teachers over and when one of them happened to mention that all her family comes from Italy. I think I actually leaned forward in my seat as I asked her where in Italy exactly and how long ago they immigrated. Sad isn't it?

Well that's me in a nutshell. Now I'm supposed to tag six more people but I don't know that many bloggers and some of them have already been tagged so I'll just tag a couple: Mindy and Suzanne.

P.S. Did everyone enjoy my Christmas spirit?

8 comments:

Julia said...

I love that your own cousin thought you were a boy. You're certainly lovely now, but I don't know about that hardware store addiction...

Mama Wisch said...

You fooled me.. I would have never thought you were a true and true tomboy! All growing up I was mistaken for a boy too, but I think we both turned out just fine! I love that you got engaged after only 11 days... if I had my way, that would have been the case for us too.... I had to talk Ben into it!! Should I call you Captain for now on???

Kerri said...

OK Becky, I just linked to your blog through Mindy's and was very entertained by your last two posts--you're hilarious! It's so fun to see your cute little family. Don't let him get to you for being a Christmas junky--it's the only way to go :) Loves, Kerri (Kofoed) and the Costley Clan

Rebekah said...

Kerri it is so good to hear from you! And yes us Christmas Junkies need to stick together.

Troy and Nancee Tegeder said...

Thanks for complying with the tagging game. I know it is annoying to do, but I enjoyed reading more about you. That was great about Captain John - I never would have guessed. We are going to be in Seattle for Christmas. Will you still be there?

Rebekah said...

No we're going to be in Utah this year. Too bad; I wish we could see Baby Erica.

Julie Tegeder said...

Hey, I was just going to tag you! Oh well. Love your stories.

Melissa said...

Reading this entry I feel like we have SOOO much in common! I, too, was mistaken for a boy very often as a young girl (a hairdresser thought I was a boy and gave me a horrendous bowl-cut). Also, I find so much satisfaction showing Chris all of the gross things I've cleaned when he comes home at night.