Wednesday, November 12, 2008

More Christmas projects

With all this lovely gray wet weather I've been sewing more than ever. Lucky for my extended family I have now moved beyond just sewing things for Scott and Eve. We drew names in my family for the people who will be in Utah this year. A name gift is basically a special homemade gift that is opened on Christmas Eve. We are actually going to be spending Christmas Eve and Christmas day with Scott's family but my family is going to have Christmas 2 a couple days after the real thing.

This year Eve drew her cousin Lily's name. Lily is 4 and very much a girl. So we decided to make her a purse and then fill it will all kinds of girly stuff that Eve can help make and pick out. I got the pattern from a friend's blog and picked out fabrics that had the most pink and purple but mine didn't turn out nearly as well. Hopefully the next one will be better. Is it wrong to use a 4 year old as a guinea pig?


We have been struggling in a mighty way for what to give Scott's younger brother who's 16. This was even more complicated when you want to do a homemade gift and his interests are snow boarding, friends (and when I say friends I mean girls) and music. Finally we came up with an idea. We bought a long-sleeved t-shirt from H&M for $14 and I sewed on a Angus bull outline applique made out of some thin red corderouy scraps that I had laying around and then stitched on with a light blue thread. The stretchy shirt fabric gave me some grief but at least it's bigger than a onesie. Scott's also burn him a cd and we'll call it good. I know it's only sort of homemade but it's the best we could come up with.

2 comments:

Kirsten and Steve said...

I love the idea of homemade gifts! One of these years I am going to be able to say that all of my gifts were homemade...you are an inspiration!

Suzanne said...

I love the homemade gift idea. I need to take sewing lessons from you seriously. What do you cost. Hey, we will be in Utah over Christmas as well. Humm...