Every Friday Eve and I have lunch at my friend Saeka's house. She moved to Seattle from Japan a year ago and wanted to work on her English. We were introduced at Church and being the Literacy Specialist I offered to meet with her so she could practice speaking.
Over the past few months we have become great friends and I look forward to our Friday afternoons all week. But it isn't just me that has found a friend. Eve, whose social life is a bit limited these days, loves to visit Saeka's house mostly because she has twin 3 year-old girls, Ayu and Yuna. And they love Eve. They poke her chubby cheeks and bring her all their toys. It is so awesome to hear them jabbering away in Japanese and then to hear them say "Eve."
Saeka knew that it was Eve's birthday so when we arrived last Friday she had a gift basket all ready for her. Saeka is quite crafty so she had made felt hand puppets: a mother and baby bunny, a candle and, my personal favorite, a chicken that opens up to reveal an egg which "cracks" open to reveal a baby chick. I honestly think Saeka is the most giving person I've met. She always makes something special for dessert (banana clafoutis, black sesame seed pudding, cheesecake, Japanese walnut raisin rolls, etc.) and always sends some home with me for Scott. If she's reading this, thank you for being such a good friend!


Raised in a small South Dakota mining town where he learned the value of a sturdy pickaxe and native tubers, Scott is a man's man who knows the meaning of the word testosterone. Apart from devouring freshly slain beasts of the forest, Scott enjoys sharpening his tools, lifting heavy objects, and throwing a ball at a hoop suspended ten feet off of the ground. He also enjoys Romantic Era poetry and Italian cooking.
4 comments:
Thank you for being my good friend and great English teacher! We always look forward to seeing you every Friday. Ayu and Yuna loves to play with Eve very much. I'm most grateful to you for your service and your friendship. We love you and Eve!!
what a sweet friendship! maybe eve will start speaking japanese? or maybe just craving sushi! that would be even better!
What a neat lady Saeka is. James loves her for a nursery leader. She always has the neatest lessons and activies.
These pictures are so adorable! Saeka is extremely talented. I've seen some of the things she's made. How fun to have a regular lunch date to look forward to!
Post a Comment